This recipe is great to prepare the night before and then warmed up for a hot, delicious breakfast. For a parent on the go, you don’t have to settle for instant microwavable breakfasts that are full of preservatives and severely lack in the nutrition department. Your children are growing, so we know you need healthy recipes that are also easy!
In fact, this recipe is awesome not only because it’s healthy, but because your oven basically does all the work for you. After combining and mixing all your ingredients into one bowl, you simply spread the mixture into a pan and bake for thirty minutes. Then, a delicious and nutritious snack or breakfast is ready and waiting! You can warm it up, top it with some fresh berries and syrup, and there you go!
This is bound to be a hit, as well as a great replacement for sweet things like pop tarts or strudels. Baked oatmeal is a warm breakfast casserole whipped up from oats, almond milk, and other ingredients typically found in your kitchen. The texture is similar to bread pudding, combining chewy, soft, and creamy all in one. Topping it with fresh berries for a juicy burst of flavor and a drizzle of maple syrup brings the sweetness all together for a satisfying bite.
The diced apple throughout steals the show, though. Bringing forth a bright, fresh flavor, apples are also amazing for your family’s health. With an impressive list of phytonutrients and antioxidants, they provide vitamins, minerals, and support a healthy digestive system. Not to mention they’re low in calories! For more information on the health benefits, check out our Health Benefits article on Starr Ranch’s Gala Apples!
Why do we recommend Starr Ranch’s Gala Apples for this recipe? Because they’re “simply better.” For over 85 years, generation after generation at Starr Ranch have cultivated some of the finest orchard locations in the world, providing premium apples to their loyal consumers. They’re proud to boast that they provide unmatched levels of care and attention to their work.
Here’s some information about the other ingredients in this recipe!
- Oats: One of the healthiest grains on earth, they’re an amazing source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Walnuts: This exceptionally nutritious nut is known to reduce inflammation and improve heart disease risk factors.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: This is an excellent source of vitamin C to help boost your immune system!
- Almond Milk: This alternative to milk is low in calories in sugar while high in calcium, vitamin E, and vitamin D.
- Raisins: While small, these dried fruits are jam packed with energy, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, while also helping with bone health and iron levels.
Make the morning that much easier by prepping a breakfast that will have no complaints! And rest easy knowing your family is starting off with a filling, healthy meal.
Organic Gala Apple Baked Oatmeal:
- 1 Starr Ranch® Gala medium apple, finely diced
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or apple puree
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8 by 8 inch ceramic baking dish with coconut oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, cinnamon, ground ginger, and sea salt. Then mix in diced apples, applesauce, almond milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and melted coconut oil and stir until all ingredients are well combined. Add in raisins to combine.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm in a small bowl topped with yogurt and/or almond milk, adding fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup!