Date, Orange, & Pistachio Brittle Recipe
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped Sunsweet® dates
- 1 orange
- 2 cups shelled pistachios – whole
- 1/2 cup pistachios – chopped
- Measure all ingredients so they are ready to use as this recipe requires you to work quickly.
- Add sugar and water to a medium sized pot over medium/high heat and stir to melt sugar. Add light corn syrup and mix once more. Place candy thermometer into the pot (tip of thermometer should be submerged in the liquid but not touching the bottom of the pot).
- Slowly bring sugar mixture to a low boil without increasing the heat to high. Once sugar reaches 250F add pistachios and mix to combine.
- Once mixture reaches between 260F and 300F remove from the heat and quickly add butter and baking soda and mix to combine ingredients. The mixture will foam and turn a lighter color.
- Quickly pour mixture onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Immediately sprinkle brittle with chopped dates and chopped pistachios. Top with orange zest while still warm.
- Carefully press toppings into the warm brittle so they’ll stick a bit better. You may also use the back of a spatula for this step to avoid hot brittle.
- Allow brittle to cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes. Crack into pieces with your hands and enjoy!