Country Sausage, Apple and Sunsweet® Dried Cherry and Prune Stuffing Recipe
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Sunsweet®Dried Cherries
- 1/2 cup Sunsweet® Pitted Prunes, chopped
- 3/4 cup Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Prune Juice
- 8 cups day-old cubed French bread
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook sausage for 7 to 8 minutes in a skillet set over medium-high heat or until browned; remove excess fat.
- Break up sausage with the side of a wooden spoon.
- Add onions, celery and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until softened; cool completely.
- Bring cherries, prunes and prune juice to a boil in a saucepan set over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain any excess liquid; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss bread with apples, parsley and reserved sausage mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk broth with eggs until combined. Pour over the bread mixture, tossing to coat.
- Add reserved cherries and prune mixture; toss to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.