Homemade Granola Bars with Diced Sunsweet Prunes and Dark Chocolate Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Sunsweet dried diced prunes
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil. Then lightly oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Add the oats and almonds to a small baking sheet, and bake for 5 minutes. Stir and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes until lightly toasted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the butter melts and the sugar completely dissolves.
- Pour the butter mixture into a bowl with the toasted oats and almonds. Mix well. Let everything cool about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced prunes and 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine. (The chocolate chips will most likely melt a little. This is totally fine, as they will help hold the bars together.)
- Transfer the oat mixture to the lined pan. Use a rubber spatula or damp finger tips to firmly press the mixture into the pan. Press for about one minute. (Press hard here! This way the bars will stay together once cooled and cut.)
- Scatter the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over the pressed granola mixture. Use a rubber spatula to gently press them into the top of the mixture.
- Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- After refrigerating, remove the granola mixture from pan, and peel away the aluminum foil.
- Cut into 12 bars, and enjoy!