Oh, the smell of fall! As the weather turns cooler, there's something ultra special about cool fall days and warm desserts. We tried this recipe with Fowler Farms empire apples and were blown away with how delicious it was! Just a slight twist on baking apples, with streusel on top, served with good ole fashioned vanilla ice cream, and you're finding your family and friends feeling festive and warm 'n fuzzy.
Check out this video for step-by-step instructions:
- 2 large, Fowler Farms apples
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour*
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- Cooking spray
- Ice cream, for serving (optional)
- *Gluten Free version, use GF flour
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter: In a small saucepan (or in a small bowl over low heat in the microwave) melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Once cooled add 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.
- Peel the apples to remove all the skin.
- Slice the apples in half from top to bottom.
- Core the apples: Use a melon baller or spoon to remove the apple cores.
- Cut slices in the apples, leaving the bottom intact: Place the apples cut-side down on a cutting board. Cut slices into the apple, 1/4-inch apart, stopping just before you cut through the bottom. (This keeps the slices connected at the bottom of the apple.)
- Brush the apples with melted butter and sugar: Stir together the butter mixture. Use a pastry brush to spread the butter mixture over top of the apples and into the slices.
- Bake the apples: Spray a thin layer of cooking spray over the inside of a baking dish. Place the apples in the baking dish, flat-side down. Cover the baking dish with tinfoil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the streusel: Cut the remaining tablespoon of butter into cubes. Add it to a bowl, along with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, flour, oats, and a pinch of salt. Use your fingers or a fork to blend the ingredients together.
- Top the apples with streusel: After the apples have finished baking, remove the baking dish from the oven. Use a fork to carefully spread the strusel over top of the apples. Work the streusel between the slices as well.
- Increase the oven temperature and continue baking: Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Place the baking dish back in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes more.
- Cool the apples: Remove the baking dish from the oven. Cool the apples for about 5 minutes before serving.