North Shore Greenhouses, Inc. is a family-owned and operated grower. Three generations of greenhouse growing experience, earth-friendly practices and fair labor practices! North Shore Living Herbs® are some of the freshest herbs possible because they are still alive! They are actual living plants, so they stay fresh longer and are naturally more flavorful. North Shore Living Herbs® is Sustainably Grown Certified and are also Non-GMO verified.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Basil has a clove-like flavor with a strong, pungent, sweet smell.
- North Shore Living Herbs® offers Certified Organic North Shore Living Herbs® Basil. Ready to use, fresh, pesticide-free and high-quality.
- Basil is the ultimate complement to tomatoes, and also pairs nicely with onions, garlic and olives. Basil is most well-known for its role in Italian cuisine; however, it is also often used in Asian cuisine.
- Basil is considered to be sacred in the Hundu cultures, as they believe it is a favorite of the gods.
- Basil may improve your memory - it's used to combat the effects of jet lag!
WAYS TO EAT:North Shore Living Herbs ® Kitchen Tips! : For the most intense flavor, fresh basil should be added to cooked dishes or at the very end of the cooking process because prolonged heat will cause its oils to dissipate, which reduces the distinct flavor. Incorporate the whole leaf or mince finely with a sharp kitchen knife, depending on your recipe.
Try one of North Shore Living Herbs' ® recipes or simply pair it with some of the ingredients suggested below:
- Vegetables Zucchini, corn, bell pepper, tomato, green beans, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, eggplant, squash, spinach, artichoke, fennel, onion, potato
- Seafood Lobster, shrimp, crab, red snapper, salmon (fresh and smoked), grouper, tuna
- Meat and Poultry Chicken, turkey, beef, veal, lamb, sausage
- Soups and Sauces • Corn chowder, tomato, minestrone, vegetable soup, bйchamel
- Dairy Egg dishes, ricotta, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, bleu cheese, goat cheese
- Legumes and Grains Tabouleh, polenta, cannellini beans, rice (all varieties), couscous, all pasta
- Fruit and Dessert Watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew, apple, peach, nectarine, pear, figs
- Herbs and Seasoning Lemon, lime, mint, oregano, chili, garlic, chives, ginger, capers, curry, coconut milk