Prunes (dried plums) not only make a sweet and satisfying snack, but also help you feel healthy. Compared to other dried fruits, prunes are lower in sugar, plus digested and absorbed slowly by the body. And as you know, this helps to sustain energy over a longer period of time versus a quick sugar high and then crash.
How do prunes benefit your body & health?
- Prunes decrease risk of bone loss and also increases bone mineral density while reducing bone breakdown.
- Prunes are low in both sodium and fat, and adding prunes to your diet can help support a healthy heart.
- They are shown to promote satiety and help with weight control.
- And... so much more!! Click here to find out!
What are the best ways to utilize prunes?
Prunes, also known as dried plums, are often eaten right from the package as a convenient, portable, nutritious snack. They also can be added to so many other foods:
- cereals and stuffing
- stewed in water or fruit juice
- used in baking muffins and cakes
Did you know...?!
- That eating just 10-12 prunes daily lowered LDL cholesterol levels (the “bad” cholesterol that contributes to plaque buildup) in men.
- Compared with other snack foods, prunes may help to lower blood glucose levels, increase satiety, and suppress hunger.
- California grows 99% of the U.S. supply of dried plums. The primary California growing areas are the Sacramento Valley and the San Joaquin Valley.
- Prunes and prune juice are naturally a good source of fiber as well as sorbitol, a sugar-like substance similar to glucose.