We love strawberries! Cultivated throughout the world, these delicious, red fruits supply us with essential nutrients to keep us healthy and in great shape! You can find them in jams, jellies, salads, pies, or you can just eat them raw. They’re one of the most versatile fruits around, and they can be prepared in so many different ways.
Amazing Health Benefits from eating strawberries!
- Anti-aging – Vitamin C-rich foods can prevent wrinkles and age-linked skin dryness, suggesting that strawberries can play a beneficial role in reducing the effects of aging.
- Anti-inflammatory – With their excellent combination of phytonutrients, strawberries are exceptional at lowering indications of inflammation when consumed several times throughout the week.
- Antioxidants – Strawberries are jam-packed with antioxidant-assisting vitamin C! They’re also a great source of dietary fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6. Containing these beneficial nutrients, they provide defense to keep your body’s free radicals under control.
- Diabetes – Strawberries contain proteins that can help keep cholesterol lower, thus reducing the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases – such as diabetes.
- Eye health – Being rich in vitamin C, strawberries may help prevent cataracts, which can lead to blindness as one ages. In addition, vitamin C also helps strengthen the eye’s cornea and retina!
- Other benefits – Strawberries may reduce risk of bladder cancer, diabetes, and osteoarthritis!
Did you know…?
- On average, there are about 200 seeds on each strawberry.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family, which is why they smell so sweet.
- They are the only fruit that wears their seeds on the outside.
- While they’re not sold at retail by variety, they do come in several different types.
- The most popular types of strawberries are Selva, Pojaro, and Parkers.
- Strawberries can be pickled, especially when picked green or unripe.