These might just be the one of the easiest appetizers we currently have to share at Farm Star Living! Creamy mashed potatoes and bacon are stuffed into portobello mushroom caps then drizzled with mouth-watering brown gravy and topped with chives. Are you hungry yet? And, you only need four ingredients to make this mushroom and mashed potato magic happen thanks to Minute Mashersâ„˘ with Gravy from Green Giantâ„˘ Fresh!
These make the perfect appetizer for any dinner, game day, or family gathering and they're a cinch to put together. The not-so-secret ingredient are these NEW Minute Mashersâ„˘ with Gravy â€“ once again (just like the original Minute Mashersâ„˘) everything you need is right there in the bag. Following the directions on the package, just place the whole Minute Mashersâ„˘ bag in the microwave for seven minutes to cook. You don't need to remove any portion of the bag, vent the package, or add any ingredients. Once the seven minutes are complete, you just remove the Minute Mashersâ„˘ package from the microwave with oven mitts (the package will be hot) and then you smash and mash fresh potatoes to your desired consistency.
If you like chunky mashed potatoes, mash a little less. And if you like creamy mashed potatoes, mash a little longer. Tear the bottom portion of the bag open and add mashed potatoes to your plate. Then carefully cut a small slit into the top corner of the package to easily pour hot gravy right over your fresh mashed potatoes. No pots and pans, no peeling necessary, just microwave and you're done!
Here's a few tips, tricks, and substitutions for this recipe:
- Mushrooms: We think baby portobello make the best appetizer for this recipe but you could try it with other mushrooms as well. Try large portobello mushroom caps for a larger entree-sized version or use white button mushrooms if that's what you have on hand. Cremini mushrooms would also work here.
- Bacon: For an easy, splatter-free way to cook bacon try baking it in the oven! Set oven to 400 and lined a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add bacon in a single layer and bake for 18-20 minutes (cook time depends on bacon thickness). For this recipe, we suggest crispy bacon over chewy bacon.
- Minute Mashers: Make sure to mash Minute Mashersâ„˘ mashed potatoes into a creamy consistency so it's easier to really stuff those mushrooms with the mashed potato and bacon mixture.
- Herbs: Garnish with any fresh herbs that you love! Parsley, chives, thyme, or rosemary would all work in this recipe.
- Amount: The amount of people this recipe will feed varies since the size of the mushrooms varies also. We were able to make 18 mushroom caps that were stuffed to the brim with the mashed potato mixture (see photos).
If you're looking for more ways to serve healthy and delicious recipes to your family, we suggest giving Minute Mashersâ„˘ with Gravy a try! If you try this recipe, let us know and tag us on your recipe photos on social media. Happy mashing!
- 1 package Minute Mashersâ„˘ Mashed Potatoes with Brown Gravy (about 1.5 cups mashed potatoes)
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon, thick cut
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz package baby portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and add mushrooms caps (stalks removed) to the baking sheet and set aside until ready to use.
- Cook Minute Mashers Mashed Potatoes with Gravy according to package instructions then mash into a creamy consistency.
- Add cooked and mashed Minute Mashers mashed potatoes to a bowl. Add cooked and crumbled bacon and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spoon or rubber spatula, scoop the mashed potato and bacon mixture into the mushroom caps. Note that each mushroom cavity will hold a different amount of the mashed potato mixture since mushroom sizes vary. TIP: try to leave some grooves in the mashed potatoes rather than creating a smooth dome shape. These crevices will help the gravy to "stick" on top of the stuffed mushrooms rather than rolling off. Add stuffed portobello mushroom caps to the baking sheet.
- Carefully cut a small slit in the top of the Minute Mashers package to release the gravy and pour over the stuffed mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve hot. Enjoy!
Those earthy little bites are easy to make. I love eating them.
I love these potato – mushroom gravy bites anytime!
Little potato bites combined with mushrooms and gravy, oh my!
I’ll Take it
CAN’T WAIT TO TRY THE STUFFED MUSHROOMS OR THE GERMAN POTATO SALAD.
Love Mushrooms…I will try this recipe!
Another amazing recipe!!!
Must try đź‘Ś
Looks easy to make, can’t wait to try it.
This one is my favorite. Easy and delishous.
Shrooms are the best num nums!
Will have to try
Yummy they looks so delicious can’t wait too make them
These look tasty!!!
Looks like an amazing dish. Will try it soon
I’m going to make this
Looks so easy and I love Mushrooms !! I will be making it!!
WILL TRY IT LOOKS DELICIOUS
Perfect! Delicious and quick! :
Mashed potatoes, mushrooms, and GRAVY too… oh my!!! Sounds amazing!!!
Looks delish I will try this!
I’m making this now
[…] tried these new potatoes in our latest recipe, and we are so excited to share it with you! Try ourÂ Minute Mashersâ„˘ Mashed Potato Stuffed MushroomsÂ recipe and let us know what you think by tagging us on social media when you share your recipe […]
I don’t like mushrooms but my husband does I think I’ll try this for him.
Sounds wonderful and so easy.
Oh Man! That looks good!
[…] tried these new potatoes in our latest recipe and we are so excited to share it with you! Try our Minute Mashersâ„˘ Mashed Potato Stuffed Mushrooms recipe and let us know what you think by tagging us on social media when you share your recipe […]