Sometimes we need a little help, hack, or shortcut to make things easier on us – especially in the kitchen! Which is why you're going to love this easy pierogi recipe using Minute Mashers™ from Green Giant™ Fresh.
While delicious, traditional pierogi require more time, effort, and ingredients than we care to tackle for one recipe. However, thanks to our shortcut and Minute Mashers™, you can have pierogi that are just as good as the traditional recipes in just a few minutes. Minute Mashers are made in just seven minutes flat thanks to the innovators at Green Giant™ Fresh. Each package is equipped with everything you need to make healthy mashed potatoes: real farm-fresh potatoes, real butter, and real seasonings just like the ones found in your kitchen.
The secret is all in the packaging – place the whole Minute Mashers™ package in the microwave for seven minutes then smash and mash to your desired texture. That's it! No need to open the package, mix ingredients, or perform any extra steps. Just microwave and mash your way to a healthy potato side dish.
Instead of making a dough from scratch, we used pre-made wonton wrappers to keep this recipe simple and easy to create at home. After microwaving and mashing Minute Mashers, fill wonton with mashed potatoes and cheddar for a delicious and flavorful filling. Then, garnish with caramelized onions, crispy bacon, sour cream, and chives for a flavorful side dish or entree.
TIPS: We used cheddar for a traditional flavor, but feel free to experiment with other cheeses that you like! Caramelized onions, bacon, and sour cream are traditional but try with sauteed mushrooms, pesto, brown butter, or sauerkraut.
Let us know if you try this recipe! Share and tag us on social media so we can see your creations.
- 1 package Buttery Roasted Garlic Minute Mashers™
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 lb (or approximately 1 cup) cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 1/2 cups onions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: sour cream and chives
- Microwave Minute Mashers™ mashed potatoes according to package instructions. Mash very well to remove any lumps. You want a creamy consistency.
- Add mashed Minute Mashers, shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper to a medium bowl and mix to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Reduce the heat and remove bacon from the pan using tongs or a slotted spoon and set aside. Keep the bacon drippings in the pan.
- To the same skillet, add sliced onions and salt. Continue to cook at a low-medium heat stirring occasionally. Onions will become softer and darker but watch them carefully so they don't burn. Remove onions from the skillet using tongs and set aside.
- Optional: use a biscuit cutter to cut wonton wrappers into a circle.
- Add a teaspoon amount of the mashed potato mixture each wonton wrapper. Brush the edges of the wonton wrappers with the whisked egg (or use your finger). Fold the wonton wrappers in half and press the edges together to seal the pierogis. Crimp the edges with a fork – be careful not to pierce the potato pocket with the edge of the fork.
- In the same skillet, cook pierogis for 1-2 minutes on each side over medium-low heat. Once lightly browned on both sides, add 3 tablespoons of water to the pan and cover for 1 minute. Transfer cooked pierogis to a plate and garnish with bacon and onions. Enjoy!