Beets are red hot! This “superfood” is showing up in salads, sides, entrees, appetizers, beverages and pickled just about everywhere.
Perfect for romantic February because they can get you in the mood - for love. How? Read on
• Nature’s Viagra - The Ancient Romans used beets as an aphrodisiac. This may be true since it contains boron, which is directly related to the produce of human sex hormones.
• Chill Pill - It also contains betaine, which relaxes the mind and has been used to treat depression.
• Cheers to That - Beets can be made into a port-like wine.
• Passion Fruit - some cultures believe that a man and woman who eat from the same beet will fall in love.
• Sweet and Slow - Beets are almost 10% sugar but it’s released into the body slowly, rather than the sweet rush chocolate gives.
• To Dye For - Beet juice has been used as a natural dye for centuries. The Victorians used beets to dye their hair.
• Old School Beets - they’re reported to have grown in the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Wonders of the Ancient World.
And all this isn’t even taking into account the enormous health benefits of these little red wonders. They’re great for expectant moms, lower blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol, reduce the risk of osteoporosis, reduce anemia and so much more.
Beets - they’re good for you, taste great and can rev up your love-meter! Better go get some for you and your Valentine!
One Pan Roast Lunch of Chicken, Beets, Potatoes & Carrots
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
What you'll need: 1. 1 lb. new potatoes, cut into wedges 2. 9 oz. pack cooked beets, cut into half 3. 9 oz. carrots, or 9 oz. large carrots peeled & cut into 1 inch chunks 4. 1 onion, cut into large dice 5. 3 cloves garlic, cut into fine slices 6. 2-3 sprigs of thyme 7. 6 oz. (2/3 cup) white wine 8. 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 9. 4 chicken legs 10. salt & freshly ground black pepperWhat to do: 1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. 2. In a large roasting pan, mix the potatoes, beets, carrots, onion and garlic. 3. Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and then pour over the wine. Tuck the thyme in between the vegetables. Season well with salt & pepper. 4. Season the chicken legs all over with salt and pepper and lay them on top of the vegetables. Cover loosely with foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. 5. Remove the foil from the pan and return to the oven. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is golden and crisp and the vegetables are cooked through.