- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 sweet peppers
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 quarts stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 bunch collards
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil in a heavy bottomed pot and add 1 peeled, mince onion and 2 cored, diced sweet peppers. Add crushed red (hot) pepper to your taste.
- When the vegetables are soft, add 2 diced sweet potatoes (4 C.), 1/4 tsp. cumin powder and 1 tsp. smoked paprika. Cover the pot and cook until the sweet potatoes soften, about ten minutes. Pour in 2 quarts of your favorite stock.
- Remove the leaves from 1 bunch of basil. Pull the tough stems from the middle of 1 bunch of collards, then chop the leaves roughly.
- When the sweet potatoes are completely soft, puree the soup in batches with the basil leaves, reserving a few for garnish. Return to the pot to keep warm.
- In a wok or cast iron skillet, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add the collard greens and saute on high heat until tender. And 1 minced clove of garlic and cook until it is translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each bowl of soup with collards.
Thanks to our friends at Terra Firma Farm for this delicious recipe!