We loved making this dish, and was easy to boot! The extra touches take just a few more minutes but made all of the difference in the world! See for yourself how easy it is, and we assure you that it is delicious!
Recipe provided by Sunsweet
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup SunsweetÂ®Dried Cherries
- 1/2 cup SunsweetÂ® Pitted Prunes, chopped
- 3/4 cup SunsweetÂ® Amaz!nâ„˘ Prune Juice
- 8 cups day-old cubed French bread
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Cook sausage for 7 to 8 minutes in a skillet set over medium-high heat or until browned; remove excess fat.
- Break up sausage with the side of a wooden spoon.
- Add onions, celery and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until softened; cool completely.
Bring cherries, prunes and prune juice to a boil in a saucepan set over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes.
Drain any excess liquid; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss bread with apples, parsley and reserved sausage mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk broth with eggs until combined. Pour over the bread mixture, tossing to coat.
- Add reserved cherries and prune mixture; toss to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.